When is this performed?
- In some circumstances this is required to clarify if a patient has diabetes mellitus
- This test is used in pregnancy in certain patients to investigate whether a patient has gestational diabetes mellitus
- This test is also used to investigate a condition called reactive hypoglycaemia
- This test is used to investigate if a patient has excess growth hormone in the body (acromegaly)
What does the test involve?
- The administration of a glucose orally and the taking of blood samples
Are there any side-effects?
- Usually none
How long does the test take and is admission to hospital required?
- The test may take 2-4 hours depending on the reason for performing it and does not usually require admission
What should you tell your doctor?
- If you have diabetes mellitus