When is this performed?
- This is required when diseases such as primary hyperparathyroidism, phaeochromocytoma and carcinoid and Cushing`s syndrome
What does the test involve?
- Collecting the correct container (i.e. with the correct additive for the test being performed) and instructions
- Read the instruction carefully and follow them, even if they differ from the guidance below
- Decide which morning you will begin your collection
- Empty your bladder that morning into the toilet and note the time. This is the “start time”
- Your collection starts from now
- Every drop of urine for the next 24hrs should be collected in a dry bowl or jug and poured into the container using a funnel
- Exactly 24 hours after the start time, empty your bladder, collect this urine and place in the container
- Your 24hr collection is complete
- Make sure you have labelled and correctly completed the details required on the container
Are there any side-effects?
- Usually none
How long does the test take and is admission to hospital required?
- 24hrs and does not usually require admission
What should you tell your doctor? Precisely what medication you are taking, prescribed and over the counter.