- Absent menstruation. If menstruation has never occurred this is referred to as primary amenorrhoea whereas secondary amenorrhoea refers to menstruation that has stopped since first beginning.
- Follicle stimulating hormone is released by the pituitary and acts on the gonads. In men it stimulates the production of spermatozoa and in woman it plays a role in the development of ovarian follicles.
- Milk production from the breast. This is most commonly associated with hyperprolactinaemia.
- Breast development in men.
- The replacement of hormones that are deficient. This is commonly association with HRT and women, but the term is not infrequently used to indicate replacement of other hormones in for example hypopituitarism.
- Luteinising hormone is released by the pituitary and acts on the gonads. In males, it results in testosterone production by the testis. In women it plays a role in ovarian follicle development and ovulation.
- Infrequent menstruation
Oopherectomy Removal of an ovary.
Premature ovarian failure
- Spontaneous menstruation that ceased permanently before the age of 40yrs